CMS is continually reviewing and modifying billing and coding practices based on the evolving needs of the medical industry. Below are the latest Place of Service (POS) and Modifier updates that have been made for 2022.
- 02 – REVISED Telehealth provided other than in the patient’s home; such as in the hospital or other facility
- POS 10* – NEW Telehealth provided in the patient’s home, which is a location other than a hospital or other facility where the patient receives care in a private residence
*Note: Medicare has not accepted the POS 10 location code and will continue using POS 02 for Telehealth. Please check with your state MAC for updates.
- FS: Split/Shared E&M Service (Facility Setting Only): Used to share or split service between a physician and a non-physician practitioner.
- FT: Unrelated E&M during “Post Op” or “Global” period, the same day as a procedure, or on the same day as another E&M. (Critical Care Only)
- FQ: Expanded Medicare coverage of Behavioral Health services using audio-only communications technology for FQHC.
- Used with G2080 – “Each additional 30 minutes of counseling in a week of medication-assisted treatment” to indicate expanded services.
- FR: Supervising practitioner was present through a real-time two-way, both audio/video communication technology.
- The Provider was present and interacting via both audio and video rather than in person.
- 93: Synchronous Telemedicine Service Rendered via Telephone or Other Real-Time Interactive Audio-Only Telecommunications System
- This visit must meet all key components/requirements of the same services as if they were rendered in person.