In this section, the user will review the process of how to add new in-house Labs, Screening tests, Imaging and Procedures and their Results.
|Note: The article will explain how to add an In House test. The steps below are basically the same when adding an outside lab.|
Access the HL7 Diagnostic Test Utilities
- Navigate Utilities > Manage Clinical Features > Diagnostic Test Setup.
- Click on the Test Name Definitions tab.
- Click the filter on the Lab button and choose In House or the Lab you want to add a new test.
- Click the + to expand the line to display all labs tests associated with the lab facility.
Add a new Diagnostic Test
- Click the Add a new diagnostic test definition button to add a new Diagnostic Test. The Diagnostic Test Name Information window opens.
- Select In House from the Laboratory dropdown or the lab where the test is being created.
- Enter the name of the test in the Test name field.
- Make a selection in the Purpose dropdown.
|Purpose: the Purpose chosen will effect how a test is ordered and/or resulted:|
- Make a selection in the Category dropdown.
|Categories: the Category chosen will result in which type of test it is labeled as:|
- Enter the LOINC code (In House tests must begin with ‘X’ and not exceed 7 characters).
- Tab to the Test ID field. This will populate the Test ID field with a code identical to the LOINC code. If not, you can manually type it in this field.
- Enter the CPT Code if necessary to bill for the test.
- Enter an ICD-10 Code if the lab requires a specific ICD-10 code.
- Make a selection in the Result type dropdown.
|Result Type: The result type is used for information that would go into the result value.|
- Enter Default Result Value.
- the first answer in the list is the default: Negative=N; Positive=A
- to create a drop-down list of choices you must separate choices by a semicolon ; and no spaces between each entry
- type =N after the result answer to indicate a normal value; this will result in a green background line result
- type =A after the result answer to indicate an abnormal value; this will result in a red background line result
- Default visibility is set to Any staff member to change click the dropdown and select from the list.
- Click OK to Save.
Create Results for an Order
- Access HL7 Diagnostic Test Utilities using the same steps as above.
- Click to add a new Diagnostic Test Name. The Diagnostic Test Name Information form will open.
- Using the directions above, fill out the fields to create a results only test.
- Repeat the above steps for all result only test entries.
Add Results to an Order
- Click the Access button to the left of the lab used to order.
- Click the Result Template tab.
- Click on the Insert Record button to add a result.
- Click the dropdown and select from the list.
- Repeat the above steps until all lab results are added.
- Click OK to Save.
Adding New Tests to the Test Name Pick Lists
The Test Name Pick List is used to organize labs when adding a lab requisition through the Diagnostic Tests tab of a patient chart. This will allow you to quickly navigate to a Test Category and select from the associated labs.
- Utilities > Manage Clinical Features > Diagnostic Test Setup.
- Click on the Test Name Pick Lists tab.
- Click the Activate button.
- Select In House or the outside lab in the Test Facility column.
- In the Test Name column, click the Green Plus button to add another row, click the dropdown arrow and select from the list.
- Click Post Edit button to Save.
- Click the Red X button to Exit.