In this article, you will learn how to create and send a patient Message and a non-patient Message in OP. Patient Messages are patient-specific and are saved as part of the patient's Medical Record. Non-patient Messages, however, are not tied to a specific patient, and are typically used for general communications within the practice. All Message creation is started using one of the following methods:
- Click the Send Message button in the Clinical or Practice Management tab.
- Click Phone in the Messages section of the Main Navigation Panel to open the Message Center. Then, click the New Message button.
- Click Messages in the Patient Chart. Then, click the New Message button.
Create a Message
- Navigate to the Message using one of the methods above.
- Confirm the patient information fields are correct or are blank depending on the type of Message being sent.
- Patient Message: If the patient's information is not already populated, search for and select the patient using the patient search field . Once the patient is selected, their information is populated.
Tip: The only patient information field that can be edited is the Phone field. This should be updated if the Message is being sent as a result of a conversation with the parent or patient and they are to be reached at a different phone number than what is listed in the patient's Demographics. Editing the Phone field does not alter the patient's Demographics record.
- Non-patient Message: If a patient's information is displayed, click the Clear button to remove the information.
- Complete the following fields, if applicable:
- Spoke with: Select an option from the drop-down menu.
- Time of call: The time and date stamp are populated when the message is opened. To change this information, click the drop-down menu.
- Time Spent: Enter the amount of time spent on the call, in minutes, or click the drop-down menu and select from the number pad.
- Urgent: Select the checkbox to mark the message as urgent.
- Visibility: Default visibility for the message is set to Any staff member. To change the visibility for the message, click the drop-down and select from the list.
- In the To: field, use one of the following methods to select the recipient(s) of the message:
- Use the drop-down in the To: field to select the recipient(s), either individual or department. Repeat this method to build your recipient list from left to right in the To: field.
- Start typing the recipient name in the To: field, and make your selection. Repeat this method to build your recipient list from left to right in the To: field.
- Click the Recipient Grid buttonto select multiple recipients from a list by selecting the checkbox in the Send column. While here, you can also select the checkbox to indicate if there is Action Required (Act Req) by each selected recipient.
- In all of the options above, if the message is to be sent to everyone in the practice, select Everyone as the recipient.
- If your message requires action from the recipient(s), select the Action Required button for each recipient. If a selected recipient needs to be removed, click the Remove Recipient button .
- If needed, select additional recipient actions.
- No one: This option is used to document a message but the message is not sent to a recipient. When this option is selected, the Send button is replaced with a Save button.
- Patient Portal: This option sends the message to the patient's active portal account.
- All Must Read: This option requires that all recipients read the message. This is typically used when sending a message to a group of users, department or everyone.
- No Response Allowed: This option closes the message from further responses.
- Complete the fields of the message using the information below.
- Subject: Enter a brief description of the reason for the message.
- Message: Enter the content of the Message. Phrase Construction and a shortcut to the patient's prescription record are available.
Note: ClearTriageis also available to practices who have active subscriptions.
- (Optional) Add attachments by clicking the Attach button and selecting the document to attach.
- Click the Send button.
Path: Smart Toolbar > Schedule button > Messages tab
On this page you will find instructions on how to create a new message.
Creating a Message
- To open the Message form, click the Send button on the Smart Toolbar.
From the Schedule and Practice Workflow window, click the Messages button .
- Click the New Message button .
Practice Workflow: Messages
- Search for the Patient in the Search box . Once selected the patient's information is displayed in the left header fields.
- In the right message header fields, complete the following Fields:
|Spoke with||Select mother, father, guardian, etc.|
|Time of call||The time and date stamp are entered when the message was opened, to change it click the Drop-down menu (optional).|
|Length of call||If phone time is tracked, click the Drop-down menu in the Length of call field or enter the Number of Minutes spent on the phone call (optional).|
|Urgent||A message marked Urgent will be the color red the in the recipient's inbox.|
|Note Visibility||Defaults to Any staff member. If the message is confidential change it to a higher visibility.|
- Select an Option from the To: drop-down menu.
|Send||Used to select the recipient or recipients.|
|Act Req||Action Required is used if the recipient needs to complete a task related to the message. To send as Action Required click the Double checkmark button after selecting a recipient .|
Clickand select the Action Required checkbox.
|Department||Select an entire Department to send the message (optional).|
- Choose To options (optional):
|No One||Used to document a message in the patient record and is not sent to a recipient.|
|Patient Portal||Used to respond to messages from the Patient Portal.|
|All Must Read||Used if the sender wants all recipients to view and/or respond to the current message.|
|No Response Allowed||Marks the conversion as closed disallowing further responses.|
- Enter a brief Description of the message in the Subject field.
- Enter the Details in the Message field.
- Click the Send button.