Warning: When updating the In House diagnostic tests LOINC codes, these codes are used in different areas of OP, such as Care Plans. Please coordinate when the information will be updated for the least impact to the practice.
LOINC: These are unique identifiers for diagnostic tests, including lab tests, x-rays, ultrasounds, and other procedures. Most practices were using made-up LOINC codes for in-house tests, like rapid strep EIA tests (“XSTREP” was commonly used) and urine pregnancy tests (“XHCG” and “XPREG”). Getting the proper LOINC diagnostic test codes are important because they are more precise. For example, to report a rapid strep test using the EIA method, OP must find this in your Diagnostics table. One possibility would be to look for every test that starts with Strep. This would include Streptozyme and Strep culture, neither of which are rapid strep tests, and it would exclude Rapid strep and Quick strep, which might be legitimate labels for the strep test. If we know that all practices have labeled their rapid strep tests as LOINC CODE 6557-3 OP knows exactly what to look for, and it’s uniform across all OP practices.
OP has put together a list of the LOINC codes for a practice to update their In House diagnostic tests. Follow the instruction below to perform the updates. In addition, you may update prior diagnostic tests with the LOINC code by following the instruction supplied in this article. When updating prior diagnostic tests you must complete Step 1 before proceeding to Step 2.
"Can OP update these for me with a script or database update?"Due to the customization of each practice's diagnostic tests, etc., a script or database update would not be an effective way to make the LOINC code edits.
Note: To get a list of the current LOINC Codes to replace the In House codes in the Diagnostic Test Directory, click here.
Step 1: Update Diagnostic Tests LOINC Codes
- Navigate to Clinical tab > More button (Customize group) > Diagnostic Tests.
- Click on the Test Name Definitions tab.
- Click on the In House line to expand the list of in house tests.
- Click the Edit button on a test to add the LOINC code.
- Type the code in the LOINC field.
Note: Ignore the instructions that say no hyphen. The LOINC code must be entered exactly, including the hyphen.
- Click the OK button.
- Repeat the above steps to update the LOINC for additional Diagnostic Tests.
Step 2 (Optional): Update Prior Orders Diagnostic Tests LOINC Codes
- Navigate to Admin tab > Synchronize LOINC Codes.
- Click the Rename LOINC Codes in the Test Result Table tab.
- Click the Activate button.
- Follow the steps on the right panel, complete as listed below.
- 1. Point to a name in the grid: Select the diagnostic test from the panel on the left.
- 2. Choose a LOINC code: Click the radio button for In House Test Name Database. Click the drop-down arrow and select the diagnostic test name.
- Click the Update button.
- Confirmation window displays, click Yes to continue.
- Click OK when the update complete window displays.
Step 3: Update Care Plan LOINC Codes
Once the practice has updated the diagnostic tests LOINC codes, it is important to update the codes that are associated to Care Plans.
- Navigate to Clinical tab > Care Plans (Customize Group).
- Click the CQM Lists tab.
- In the List Name field, locate names beginning with LOINC and follow the instruction below to edit.
- Click into the List Contents field.
- Add the LOINC code using the following format: "11111-1", (double-quote before and after the code followed by a comma if additional codes).
- Repeat the above steps to update the LOINC CQM Lists.
- Search for LOINC codes: loinc.org