Path: Smart Toolbar > Account button
If an insurance payment was made to your office in error as a duplicate payment a user will notice that once a claim is settled there is not a way to post an additional payment on the claim. Users will need to add an insurance credit onto the Patient Account.
- Enter the payment as an insurance credit in the Patient's Account.
- In the Note field of the Patient's Credit Account form, explain why the payment was made in error. Enter as much detail as possible.
- When finished, click the Save button to save and close.
Record an Overpayment
- Open the Patient Account button.
- Click the Credits button.
- Click on Add Credit button.
- Click the dropdown arrow button to the right of the Pay method field and select the appropriate method of payment.
- Enter the check number in the Check/Ref # field, if appropriate.
- Enter the amount of the overpayment in the Patient Credit or Insurance Credit field, as appropriate.
- For Insurance credits ONLY, select the payer by clicking on the lookup button next to the Insurance Payer Code field.
- Enter the credit details/explanation in the Note field (e.g., "Duplicate payment for date of service, xx/xx/xx"). Include as many details as possible, including any information about an error or retraction, if applicable.
- Once finished, click the Save/Post button at the bottom of the window to save changes and exit.
|Note: When a payer identifies an insurance overpayment, the payer will either request a refund or apply the overpayment to another patient account. Also, when you are balancing out your current payments for the day, please know that you will have to now look under Current Credits, when you are adding in insurance credits to patient's accounts.|