Path: Smart Toolbar > Account button > Credits tab
To issue a refund, the amount to be refunded (e.g., overpayment, erroneous patient payment) MUST first be entered as a credit in the patient's account. If a refund is being issued as a result of a retraction, the original payment must be deleted from the corresponding claim to allow OP to record an available credit on a patient's account. The following instructions assume there is an available credit on the specified patient account.
- From the patient account, click on the Credit tab.
- Click on the Add Refund button.
|Note: To change the date of the refund from the current date, click on the down arrow next to the Date field and select a new date from the dropdown list.|
- Click the dropdown box next to the Pay method field and select the appropriate method of the refund. Choose from check, cash, credit card, etc.
- Enter the amount to be refunded in the Refund From Patient Credit or Refund from Insurance Credit field as appropriate.
|If no patient or insurance credit has been entered in the patient's account, the number pad icons will be grayed out and no amount can be entered.|
- Enter the 'refund' details in the free-form Note field, as appropriate. Be sure to include a clear description of why the refund is being issued.
- If the refund method type selected is a check, enter the refund check number and any other pertinent information in regard to this refund.
- If the refund method type selected is an Insurance transfer, please see: Processing an Insurance Retraction, Takeback, or Recoupment.
- If the refund entry is being done to CORRECT for a previous user error of credit/payment duplication, for example, select unspecified as the refund method and record the explanation in the note field as appropriate.
- Click on Save/Post to return to the Patient's Account form.