Training and user information on this page include:
- Training Videos
- System Setup and User Management
- Prescribing with EPCS
- Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP)
- Provider Set-up
- Provider Dashboard
- Logical Access Control (LAC)
- Narcotics with Gamma-hydroxyburtric acid (GHB)
- EPCS Auditable Events
Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP)
The Coded Values window allows you to set up a link in the Prescription Writer window to the PMP web site for your state. To do so:
- Click on Utilities.
- Click on Manage Codes.
- Select Coded Values.
- Select Online Resource Location under Code Table Purpose.
- Click the Plus button to add a new record.
- Enter the URL under Description.
- Enter "PMP" under Guidelines / Other Data.
The hyperlink to your PMP and field to document any confirmation number provided can be found on the Prescription Writer once a Schedule II-V drug has been selected.
The provider's name must be entered into the Staff/Provider Directory exactly as it appears in the NPI Registry. All applicable fields: First Name, Middle Name, Last Name and Suffix must be displayed in their own discrete fields.
|Providers may check how their name appears in the NPI Registry by going to https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov|
To enable EPCS for a provider, the provider's Federal DEA number must be entered in the Staff/Provider Directory in the Federal DEA# field. This is a required field. In addition OP includes the NADEAN # field in the Staff Directory (under the Provider Info tab). If providers in your practice have been issued a Narcotics DEA (NADEAN) number, you must add their NADEAN number to the NADEAN # field in their profile in the Staff Directory.
The Provider Dashboard allows providers to manage their Passphrase and the authentication tokens assigned to them. Tokens include:
- Hard token -- a device that generates authentication codes regularly and is associated with the EPC prescriber's account
- Soft token -- similar to a hard token but rather than use an external token it is an application that runs on a device (such as a mobile phone or tablet)
- Biometric authentication -- physical data that is unique to the provider (such as a fingerprint)
To access the Provider Dashboard:
- Log on to OP.
- Click on Utilities.
- Click on Manage Clinical Features.
- Select EPCS Prescriber Dashboard.
OP launches the EPCSGold web page in a separate browser window. The NPI Number is pre-populated.
- Enter your Passphrase. The EPCSGold web page displays the Token and One Time Password (OTP) fields.
To manage your Passphrase:
- Select Profile.
- Click Change EPCS Passphrase.
- Select token and enter your PIN.
- Enter your old Passphrase and then enter a new Passphrase to replace the old one.
To manage your token(s):
- Select the Tokens tab.
- Select your token. This is only necessary if you have more than one token (such as a hard token and a soft token). The system defaults to the last token you selected.
- Enter the PIN that your selected token is currently displaying in the OTP field. The EPCSGold web site displays a list of tokens associated with the user.
- Activate, deactivate, add, or remove tokens as necessary. Click here to watch a video with detailed, step-by-step procedures.
Logical Access Control (LAC)
Logical Access Control (LAC) is configuring a providers (who have completed the IDP process) grant status in OP as either active or inactive. The provider's EPCS Status refers to their progression through identity-proofing which culminates with a status of Enrolled. The Grant Status controls a provider's ability to electronically prescribe controlled substances even if their EPCS Status is equal to Enrolled.
This is a two-step process which requires a user with System Administrator permissions and other than the provider being activated or deactived open the LAC. Any provider with EPCS credentials may perform the second step by entering their passphrase and the PIN number from their token.
|The person performing the first step must be a different individual than the person performing the second step. Any person accessing the LAC must do so using their own unique credentials to the system.|
To activate or deactivate a provider's EPCS permission in OP:
- Log on to OP. Only System Administrators can access LAC. This must be a user other than the provider being activated/deactived.
- Click on Utilities.
- Select Manage Practice.
- Select EPCS Access Control. This is OP functionality that enables System Administrators to set LAC for providers. This menu item is only visible to System Administrators.
OP launches the EPCSGold web page in a separate browser window.
- Select a provider to activate.
- Enter the NPI Number in the Enter NPI field for the provider who will be entering their passphrase and PIN from their token (this can be any provider with credentials, including the provider being activated/deactived).
- Validate the provider's NPI Number by clicking Validate.
- Have the provider enter the token they will be using for EPCS prescriptions.
- Have the provider enter their Passphrase and PIN from the token.
- Click Authorize.
|Any changes to a provider's grant status will result in our EPCS partner DrFirst informing the provider of the change by sending a message directly to the provider's email address on file.|
Narcotics Used for Detox and Maintenance
When a drug used for detox or maintenance (e.g., Suboxone) is selected, once the user clicks send, a window will display with a field where the prescriber's NADEAN number will be pre-populated if it is set-up as described above. If it was not previously set-up, the user can enter a NADEAN in the field. A NADEAN number must be nine characters, with the first two being alpha and the last seven numeric.
Narcotics with Gamma-hydroxyburtric acid (GHB)
Medications prescribed which contain GHB such as Xyrem require the user to enter a reason for prescribing. Like NADEAN, once the user clicks send, a window will display prompting the user to enter a reason. The reason must be at least 5 characters long.
EPCS Auditable Events
OP 14 also provides you with a report of EPCS Auditable Events. To access the report:
- Click on Activities.
- Click on Administrative Documents.
- Select Transaction Type: Audit_EPCS.
OP creates this report automatically on a daily basis and provides the details necessary to inform an administrative user of any suspicious activity.