We have two connection options that we currently offered:
- File drop: This is offered only for our Client server practices
- To establish connection we advised the lab to work with the practice IT company. We can provide you with the path to drop the files. Usually :\gdb_common\OP Labs[insert lab facility name]\hl7
- tcp/ip via VPN: This is offered only for our Cloud practices
- Our VPN Connectivity form will be provided
- Port Selection can be assigned by us or the lab. If it is assigned by the outside vendor we will need to confirm this port is not already in use.
- Office Practicum uses standard hl7 2.3.1 and 2.5.1 message formatting
- Messages should be sent as multi-message files or single message files with unique file names.
- We prefer to have file extension of ".hl7"
Performing Lab Information
- Prefer method of sending this information is in an NTE segment following an OBX. If you need to display CLIA information then just add one more NTE segment in the end. For example
|NTE|1||Test Performed at:||NTE|2||Office Practicum Lab, 5 Walnut Grove Drive, Horsham; PA 19044||
- Or it can be sent in OBR 21.2 - 21.6.
Test Patient Demographics
For testing we prefer to us one of the following test patients.
Date of Birth
Textual Reports (Radiology, Transcriptions, Viusit Summaries, etc.)
Please note: transcription may be sent with each line in its own NTE segment, or as repeated OBX-5 values with escape characters for formatting.
PDF's can be sent in one of two ways.
- 2 of the same files- One file with the .HL7 file extension and the second file with .PDF file extension.
- An encoded Base64 PDF can be sent in the HL7 file. This must be be sent following the format listed below. The encoded pdf must be present in OBX 5.
Specification Details for HL7 2.3.1
|Encoding characters||- Please utilize|
|MSH-06.1||Receiving Facility will be the lab-issued practice ID or Account Number|
|MSH-07.1||Date/Time of Message|
|MSH-09.1||Message Type = ORU|
|MSH-10||Message Control ID (Unique value)|
|ORC-02.1||Placer Order Number.ID, Order ID (Office Practicum will label this with our next available ID when the field is blank)|
|ORC-05||Order Status, visible status for OP user|
|OBR-03.1||Filler Order Number.ID, specimen ID (unique ID)|
|OBR-04.1||Universal Service Identifier (Test ID)|
|OBR-07.1||Observation (Sample Drawn)Date/Time: Collection Date|
|OBR-21||Performing Lab Information can be sent in this field|
|OBR- 22.1||Results Rpt Date/Time|
|OBR-28||Copy to Provider|
|OBX-03.1||Observation Identifier ID|
|OBX-03.2||Observation Identifier text|
|OBX-11||Observation Result Status|
|OBX-14||(Physiologically relevant) Date/Time of Observation|
|NTE (after OBX)|