|Warning: Selecting a vaccine refusal will discontinue the vaccines forecast. If you want the vaccine to continue to forecast select Defer.|
When a vaccine has been refused it will display in the patient's chart on the Complete tab of Immunizations. The vaccine status will display as refused and include the selection made on the Refuse/Defer form for the details or reason for the refusal.
If the vaccine was not refused during the charting process it may be corrected from the Complete List tab in the Immunizations window. Below are instructions on how to correct the patient record and vaccine inventory, if necessary.
- From the patient chart, click Immunizations.
- Select the Complete List tab.
- Click the Refuse/Defer button
- The Refuse/Defer Vaccine window displays.
- Complete the below fields.
- Type: Select the Refusal radio button.
- Reason: Select a radio button to indicate the reason for refusal.
- Details: Click the dropdown arrow and select from the list.
- Vaccine: Click the dropdown arrow and select the vaccine that is refused.
- Comments: Type additional comments, if necessary.
- Create consent task for refusal/deferral: Click the checkbox to create a task for a refusal consent form if this is your practice policy.
- Click Save.
A task will be created to complete the vaccine refusal consent form if the checkbox was selected on the Refuse/Defer Vaccine window.
Correct Vaccine Inventory
The below steps are optional and only to be used If the vaccine had already been drawn to administer. If the vaccine was not deducted from inventory begin at step 4.
- From the Complete List tab, highlight the vaccine that was refused.
- Note the Lot Number of the vaccine.
- Click the Delete button. This will return the dose to the Lot Number inventory.
- Navigate to your vaccine inventory: Practice Management tab > Manage vaccine inventory.
- Locate the vaccine lot number that contains a wasted dose.
- Click the Ellipses button to edit the lot.
- The Vaccine Inventory Item Detail window appears. Change the number in the Doses Used field to account for the wasted amount that occurred.
- Enter pertinent information in the Notes field to document the wasted doses per your office protocol.
- Click the Save button.