Path: Clinical, Practice Management, or Billing tab > Patient Chart button > Insurance
To maintain the accuracy of a patient's Insurance record as well as a historical list of previous coverage, it is Best Practice to inactivate insurances as they expire so that a record of previous coverage is available.
Inactivate an Insurance Record
- Navigate to the patient's Insurance record by following the path above.
- Select the Insurance plan that needs to be inactivated, and click the Edit button.
- Click the Status drop-down and select Inactive from the list.
- (Optional) In the Terminated field, enter the date when the Insurance became inactive.
- Click the Save button.
Note: The date the insurance record was updated and by which user ID is displayed in the Policy status section. This includes when an insurance record is set to inactive.
- (Optional) If the patient is Self-Pay, click the Self-Pay button. A confirmation window displays to set the patient's insurance as Self-Pay, click the Yes button.
- (Optional) Proceed by adding the patient's new insurance. See Create a New Insurance Record.
Path: Smart Toolbar > Insurance Button
This page will instruct you on how to make an insurance record inactive.
Making an Insurance Inactive
- Click on the Insurance tab .
- Click on the Insurance plan.
- Click the Edit button in the middle tool bar.
- In the Policy Status section, in the right of the window, locate the Status Field.
- Click on the down-arrow to the right of the Status field, and select Inactive from the dropdown list.
- If you know the termination date of the policy, click the down-arrow to the right of the Terminated field, and select a date from the dropdown list. Click the Post Edit buttonmark to save.
Insurance Record: Inactivating an Insurance
- If the patient is Self-Pay, click the Self-Pay button, in the middle of the insurance record screen.
- A popup message will prompt you to confirm, "Clear the patient's insurance and reset as Self-Pay?"
- Click Yes. The patient's insurance will now be set to self-pay.
Insurance Record: Setting Self-Pay
- To create a new insurance record, click the Insert Record buttonin the middle of the tool bar and follow the procedure for Creating a New Insurance Record.