Path: Smart Toolbar > Account button > Credits tab
Overpayments can be received by a patient and/or an insurance payer via an EOB or an ERA. When a payer identifies an insurance overpayment, the payer will ultimately either request a refund or apply the overpayment to another patient account.
- From the patient account, click on the Credits tab.
- Click on the Plus Credit button.
|Note: To change the date of the refund from the current date, click on the down arrow next to the Date field and select a new date from the dropdown list.|
- Click the dropdown box next to the Pay method field and select the appropriate method of the overpayment. Choose from check, cash, credit card, etc.
Patient Credit Account
|Note: If the method of payment is check, you MUST also enter the check number in the Check/Ref # field.|
- Enter the amount of the overpayment in the Patient or Insurance Credit Amount field as appropriate.
|Note: For Insurance credits ONLY, you MUST also select the payer by clicking on the lookup button next to the Insurance Payer field.|
- Enter a Credit Source, if applicable.
- Enter the credit details/explanation in the Note field.
|Note: Include as many details as possible, including any information about an error or retraction, if applicable. (e.g., "Duplicate payment for date of service, xx/xx/xx").|
- Click on the dropdown box to the right of the provider field to select the individual provider the credit is being issued against, if applicable.
|This feature is for offices who isolate payments and credits by provider for financial purposes.|
- Click the Save/Post button to return to the Patient Account.