Path: Clinical tab > Medication Favorites button
It is best practice for Medication Favorites be reviewed prior to EHR go live. Periodically you may need to edit or delete Medication Favorites for duplicate entries and changes such as organization, naming or number of refills. In addition, approximately every 3 to 6 months the Validate NDC's procedure should be run to ensure the NDC code that is associated with the Medication Favorite is still valid. Please keep in mind that valid NDC's are required to send prescriptions from the Medication Favorites list.
Edit Medication Favorites
- Navigate to Medications Favorites from Clinical tab > Medication Favorites button.
- Click the + to expand a category.
- Highlight the medication to edit and click the ellipses button.
- The below areas may be edited.
- Template title: Click and change how the medication is viewed when doing a medication lookup. The Template title is used when searching for a medication, this can be a user friendly name.
- Category: Click the drop-down and select a category from the list. If the category does not exist type the name to create.
- Privacy level: Click the drop-down and select a privacy level.
- Allow proxy by non-prescribers: Click the checkbox if the medication can be prescribed by non-prescriber staff that are assigned proxy privileges in their user profile.
- Freeform Sig: Type freeform sig text in Line 1 and/or Line 2. Not required but can be used when selecting the Freeform radio button for the SIG.
- Formatted Sig: Click into any field and make the changes. The information will display when the Formatted radio button is selected for the SIG.
- Notes: Enter notes for the prescription in the Prescriber note or Pharmacist note field. The information typed in either field will populate when the medication is prescribed. Both fields will be sent electronically with the prescription.
- Click OK button.
Delete Medication Favorites
- Navigate to Medications Favorites from Clinical tab > Medication Favorites.
- Click the + to expand a category.
- Highlight the medication to delete and click the ellipses button.
- Click the Delete button.
To validate your NDC numbers associated to your medication favorites follow these steps:
- At the bottom of the Medication Finder, click Validate NDCs.
- Click OK on the Warning window to continue.
- Once the operation is completed, you will see a pop up box that states how many NDCs are invalid. Click OK to continue.
- Locate the invalid medications following the below steps.
- Click the Expand All checkbox.
- Click the filter button on the Invalid column.
- Select the True checkbox.
- Correct the invalid medications following the below steps.
- Select a medication and click the ellipsis button in the Edit column. The Edit Drug Detail window opens.
- Select the ellipsis button in the Drug or Device field.
- Select the medication from the Medication Finder window.
- Click the OK button.
- Click the OK button, on the Edit Drug Details window, to update the medication.
- Remove the checkmark in the Invalid column
- Continue with the above steps until all invalid NDC numbers are corrected.
Path: Utilities > Manage Clinical Features > Medication Favorites (Keyboard Shortcut keys: [Alt][U][F][M])
Medication Favorites will need to be updated and reviewed approximately every 3 to 6 months with the proper NDC. This will first occur when you get OP installed. This is also where you will give your staff Proxy rights to write prescriptions on behalf of the Provider. Please keep in mind that NDC's will need to be valid to send prescriptions from this list.
To successfully send medications electronically your medication favorites will require a valid NDC number. To validate your medication favorites follow these steps:
- At the bottom of the Medication Favorites, Click Validate NDCs.
- Click OK to continue. Once the operation is completed, you will see a pop up box that states how many NDCs are invalid. Click OK to continue. All invalid medications will be highlighted in red.
- Click on the ellipsis edit button to update the NDC (you may filter all invalid medications by clicking the drop down arrow on the 'Invalid' column and check 'True' to select only the invalid medications).
- The edit drug details page will open. Click on the ellipsis edit button to search for the updated NDC (you may need to search for the generic medication name).
- You may mark the medication as Proxy if staff may write this on behalf of the Providers. Click OK to save.
- Remove the check mark next to invalid and continue updating the NDCs. Click OK once you are done updating the list.
Click for video: How to Validate NDCs for Medication Favorites.