|WARNING: This function is not available in the OP software if you utilize eLabs. If you use eLabs, click here.|
OP Diagnostic Tests Import -- Overview of Lab Importing
OP Diagnostic Tests Importer is an Office Practicum utility designed to help you match incoming electronic lab results to the patients in your practice and to requisitions for diagnostic tests. The application must be executed periodically to collect results from any labs that have delivered their results through an electronic interface.
Before using the Diagnostic Tests Importer for live patient data, please ensure that your setup is complete. OP installs and sets up the OP Diagnostic Tests Importer for each practice. It should not be necessary to alter the installation or setup. If the OP Diagnostic Tests Importer is not set up correctly, please contact support at email@example.com or call 800-218-9916 (option 2).
Introduction to Lab Importing and the OP Diagnostic Tests Importer
When a diagnostic test is ordered for a patient that must be performed outside the practice, the next action depends on what kind of communications your practice has with the lab. Because you are planning to import lab results from electronic files, it is highly recommended that you create pending requisitions in OP on the date of service.
- Entering a requisition in OP without the lab-issued requisition ID:
- OP Diagnostic Tests Importer offers a single requisition or a list of requisitions as a potential match to a selected lab result based on selected details about the requisition (such as Patient Name and the status of the requisition on the patient’s chart).
- Entering a requisition in OP for an exact match to a returning result:
- In one scenario, the lab offers a web site where you can enter the order online. You can then enter the mandatory details of the order into OP as well as the requisition number issued by the lab. OP Diagnostic Tests Importer attempts to find the requisition number when the result is returned, which expedites matching by offering suggestions and helps to prevent mismatches, even if you have multiple patients with the same name, or multiple orders pending simultaneously for the same patient.
- Alternatively, you have to complete a paper lab slip and either place it in your collection box with the specimen, or send the patient to the lab with slip in-hand. Using this method, Connexin recommends that practices enter the information required to send a diagnostic test using the Diagnostic Tests function in Patient Chart. This includes the Ordering Provider, the Lab Facility Name, the Diagnosis Code (if applicable), and the Test Name. This provides OP with the data necessary to synchronize requisitions in OP with requisitions in the OP Diagnostic Tests Importer. This simplifies the user’s task of matching incoming lab results with pending requisitions.
At a minimum, you should ensure that all outbound lab orders/slips contain the patient number assigned in OP. You may still need to do some manual matching of lab results to requisitions if the patient has more than one lab order outstanding at a time, but it greatly minimizes the possible matches. Otherwise, the OP Diagnostic Tests Importer is restricted to exact matching by First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, and Gender.
|Click here for a video on up-to-date user instructions for the latest version of the OP Diagnostic Tests Importer.|