Medication Refill Request messages sent from the OP Patient Portal to OP are received in the Unread Portal tab of the Message Center by all users who have been assigned to the appropriate Message Group in the Practice Portal. Allowing these requests is optional, and must be enabled in the Practice Portal (Portal Management > Patient Interface > Manage Setup > Portal Features > Allow Med Refill Requests).
Below, you'll find the workflow based on the assumption that Medication Refill Request messages are being received by non-prescribers who triage the requests and forward them to users who have prescribing privileges. Your Practice should agree and decide on the best method for managing these messages according to your Practice's workflow and who receives the messages.
Once a request has been completed by a staff member, it is important to remember to respond to the request message so that the parent is aware that their request was completed.
Non-Prescriber Triage Steps
- Navigate to the Unread Portal tab of the Message Center.
- Select and review the request message. A preview of the message is displayed in the lower section of the Message Center window.
- Triage the request by navigating to the patient's chart to confirm the medication and pharmacy information.
- Return to the Message Center, and select the Include prior text checkbox so that the original details of the message received from the portal are included in the message.
- With the message selected, click the Forward button.
- In the To field, select the Provider you'll be sending the message to.
- (Optional) In the Response field, click ahead of the populated text, press Enter on your keyboard to move the information down, and add an additional message to the Provider.
- Confirm the Completed: remove from all inboxes radio button is selected so that additional users who received this message have it removed from their inboxes.
- Click Send to forward the message to the prescriber.
If your Practice's workflow is for the Provider to let you know when the refill is sent so that you can inform the parent, you'll receive their response in the Unread Phone tab of your Message Center. Proceed by sending a response to the portal; see If responding to the parent via the portal in the section below.
- Navigate to the Unread Phone tab of the Message Center. This is where portal messages that have been forwarded are displayed.
- Complete the normal process for refilling a Medication either by clicking Reply to open the message and using the Rx button or by navigating to the patient's chart.
- If you navigated away from the Message Center, return to the message, and click Reply if you haven't already done so.
- Complete the To and Response fields based on who you're responding to:
- If responding to the staff member who triaged the request: Leave the To field populated with their name, and in the Response field, click ahead of the populated text, press Enter on your keyboard to move the information down, and add an additional message to the staff member.
- If responding to the parent via the portal: Remove the staff member's name from the To field, and select Web Portal User as the recipient. In the Response field, click ahead of the populated text, press Enter on your keyboard to move the information down, and add an additional message to the parent.
- Click Send to send the message.