The Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) is a browser-based database published by each state and accessible by prescribers. The states PDMP collects, monitors and analyzes electronically transmitted prescribing and dispensing data submitted by pharmacies and practitioners. A states PDMP is a tool used to address prescription drug diversion and abuse by sharing patient-specific information, such as, medications dispensed and doses.
States now have mandates requiring prescribers to consult with their PDMP before prescribing a controlled substance. OP's PDMP integration, powered by DrFirst, allows prescribers to access patient data from within the ePrescribing workflow. PDMP integration includes single sign-on (SSO). and is context-aware meaning prescribers do not enter their credentials to search the database. Once launched the prescriber will automatically be focused on the patient selected from within OP.
Important: The PDMP interface is restricted to practices with locations in the same state. PDMP interface is not available in all states, to check your states Integration status review the document included at the end of the article.
Enabling PDMP Integration
- The prescriber must be contracted with OP for EPCS in order to add PDMP, click here to begin the PDMP process.
- Once the information is complete for PDMP integration, OP Implementation will submit the information to DrFirst.
- DrFirst will get approval from the state for the provider(s) and assign the appropriate permission for PDMP.
- DrFirst will contact OP Implementation who will complete the process and inform the prescriber(s) they have the ability to use the PDMP integration.
EPCS Prescribing Workflow with PDMP
- Prescribe a controlled substance following the workflow for Prescribing with EPCS
- Click the Send button, the Choose Pharmacy window is displayed.
- Select a pharmacy and click the Send button.
- When PDMP is enabled, the EPCS sign-in screen will display and include the option to review PDMP data.
- Select Click Here to Review PDMP Data.
- Once the prescriber selects the Click Here to Review PDMP Data, the view expands to display the patient's filled prescriptions.
- Once reviewed, the prescriber will enter their Passphrase and Pin and click the Sign and Send button.
Note: To view a video demonstration of PDMP, click here.