Path: Smart Toolbar > Account button > Payment tab
Interest payments received through an ERA adjudication will automatically process to a generic account setup for payments/retractions that OP cannot specifically trace to a specific patient account. The generic account is acct #-5, Provider Adj. E-Billing. OP will automatically create a claim which will appear on your current claims tab. OP will only make adjudications visible to the user if the corresponding charge transaction is archived (i.e. daysheeted). Since OP creates a current claim to post these interest transactions against, you will first need to run a daysheet so that these adjudications will be visible for posting. Interest payments received via an ERA should be handled the same as you would an interest payment received on a physical EOB. If your office does not take an action for this payment, you can simply refer to Option 1 below. If, however, your office would like to post the interest payment to a specific patient, you would need to refer to Option 2 below.
Process e-Billing Adjudications
- Enter an interest charge for the payment amount on the specified account.
|Note: If you cannot identify which patient the interest was actually for, apply it to the patient with the oldest claim paid on the adjudication.|
- Manually post the Insurance Payment for the interest payment to the specified account. See Entering an Insurance Payment from the Patient Account.
- On the Adjudications tab of the e-Billing center, change the match status of the interest adjudication (as assigned to an account by the name of Provider Adj. E-Billing) to Discard, approve and post the transaction.
- Click the Account button to go into the account -5, Provider Adj. E-Billing.
- Click on the Claims tab .
- Locate and click on the claim with the interest payment so that it appears highlighted.
- Click on the minus Void button to delete this "claim".
- Click Yes when prompted "This action will delete the entire claim, Are you Sure?"