Note: Enterprise practices who operate under more than one Practice NPI or are made up of more than one Practice (not Location) are not eligible for Bulk PIN.
What is Bulk PIN?
Bulk PIN is a one-time process that initiates the sending of Patient Portal registration emails to parents/guardians so that they do not have to request a PIN directly from the practice and so that the practice does not have to manage issuing individual PINs to their entire patient population. This process is optional and by request only. Requests for Bulk PIN are managed on a first-come, first-served basis.
How does it work?
The Bulk PIN process is based on an algorithm that looks to the Family Contact record for each Active patient (meaning every patient except those with a status of Inactive, Transferred, Deceased, Merged, or In Collections). In assessing the Family Contact record, the algorithm looks for an Email Address for every Primary Contact (Family Contact listed with a Sort of 1) who has Joint or Exclusive Authority or who resides with the patient (Res?). Using that data, it then sends an email to the eligible Primary Contact offering the parent/guardian the opportunity to begin their Portal Account Setup by requesting a PIN by text or phone call. This PIN request is not received by or handled by the practice, but rather a PIN is auto-generated in near real-time and sent to the parent/guardian. The text option is recommended as it provides a record that the parent can refer back to should they enter their PIN incorrectly when completing the registration process.
Is my practice eligible for Bulk PIN?
Your practice must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the Bulk PIN process outlined on this page. Your practice must:
- Be operating the most current version of OP. If you are not sure what version you are on, check your version. The current version of OP is listed in the Current Release section on the Help Center homepage.
- Be fully live with the InteliChart Patient Portal, and not operating the portal in Preview Mode.
- Have run the DB Archive tool for Register records. Steps to complete this archive are found in step #1 of OP Data Cleanup.
Is Bulk PIN right for my practice?
Bulk PIN is only recommended for practices who manage their patients' Family Contacts appropriately. Because the Bulk PIN process is data-driven, the quality of the data entered into the patient chart is critical. While the algorithm can look at the presence of data in specific fields, it cannot determine whether or not that information is accurate. Only the practice can determine if they are comfortable with the quality of their data when deciding to request Bulk PIN.
Here are some things to consider when evaluating if Bulk PIN is right for your practice:
- How does your practice identify the contact that should be given access to the Patient Portal?
- Why this is important: The Portal column in the Contact record is commonly used to identify which Contacts should have access to the patient’s portal account. This field, however, has no bearing on the portal and is not used to give portal access to a Contact. Therefore, the Authority field or the Resides With checkbox are used to indicate the contact(s) that should be given access to the portal. Specifically, for the Bulk PIN process, the individual receiving the Portal Registration email is the contact listed with a Sort of 1, an Authority of Joint or Exclusive, or the Resides With checkbox selected.
- Does the practice staff collect and enter Family Contact information for each patient?
- Why this is important: Patients who are missing a primary Contact entry will be omitted from the Bulk PIN file that is provided to InteliChart for the transmission of Bulk PIN registration emails.
- Is the accuracy of Family Contact information verified at each visit or on a regular basis?
- Why this is important: To reiterate the importance of quality data, if a contact’s email address, for example, contains a typo, there is the potential for an unintended individual to receive a portal registration email.
- Do your patients' Primary Contact records include the following fields that are necessary for the Bulk PIN process to be successful:
- First and Last Name
- Email address
- Mobile #
- Resides with? or Authority of Joint or Exclusive
- Preferred Reminder method
An SQL is available to be run in Database Viewer that identifies Primary Contact records that are missing data in any of the above fields. It does not, however, validate the accuracy of the data. The patient charts listed as a result of this query should be updated prior to requesting Bulk PIN for your practice. Once Bulk PIN is requested and completed, updates to Family Contact records will not be captured. If you are not familiar with running SQLs using Database Viewer, click here.
How does Bulk PIN handle patients over 18?
Bulk PIN emails are not sent for any patient over the age of 18 (or whatever the Minor Age Limit is set to in your portal under Portal Management > General Settings. This age varies by state, and should be updated prior to requesting Bulk PIN for your practice. Patients over the Minor Age Limit set in your portal should be manually registered for the portal based on whatever the circumstance is between that patient and parent. Please also note, that once patients reach the Minor Age Limit, they will be disconnected from that parent's portal account and either need to create their own portal account or grant access to their parent(s) as a proxy. When that occurs, the parent will get a notification from the portal.
When is it recommended that I request Bulk PIN for my practice?
If you decide to request Bulk PIN for your practice, your parents will begin to receive their Patient Portal registration emails as soon as the process is initiated, and the process may take a couple of days to be completed. Therefore, we recommend that you wait until your practice feels they have had sufficient time to:
- Work through the SQL query results and update Primary Contact's missing information
- Get familiar with the portal and alternate registration methods
- Prepare for larger than normal call volumes in case parents have questions when they receive their email. To proactively set expectation, this Quick Reference Guide is available for distribution to your parents.
- Develop a portal campaign or some other communication to your patient population announcing that your practice is moving to a new portal. Some suggestions for this notification include sending a PMX email blast, announcing it on your practice website or social media, and posting office signage.
I'm ready. How do I request Bulk PIN for my practice?
When your parents have gotten enough notice for what is about to come, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request Bulk PIN. Once your request is received, you will receive an email confirmation. By requesting this process for your practice, you are acknowledging that you have completed contact record review/updates and understand the contact requirements and the importance of accurate data. Please allow 5-7 business days for us to process your request. When your Bulk PIN Registration has been released, you will be informed via email.
What steps will the parent/guardian have to take when my practice requests Bulk PIN?
First, the parent/guardian receives the email from InteliChart offering them the option to set up their account. The Set Up My Account link is only active for 14 days. Should the parent click Set Up My Account after 14 days, they will be instructed to contact the practice. After clicking Set Up My Account, the parent will simply choose how they would like to receive their PIN, by phone call or text (recommended). Once their PIN is received, they can start their registration. Step-by-step instructions to complete the process can be found in the OP Patient Portal Parent Experience: Request a PIN & Complete Portal Registration Quick Reference Guide. This guide also includes Patient Portal navigation, tips for using the portal, and steps to complete common portal actions.