Path: Clinical, Practice Management or Billing tab > Patient Chart > Asthma Plans
Create a New Asthma Plan
- Navigate to Asthma Action Plan using the above path.
- Select the Create a new Asthma Plan from scratch radio button and click the Next button or the Peak Flow/Triggers tab.
- The Peak Flow/Triggers window displays.
- Select a radio button, Best or Predicted, for Peak flow type.
- Best: Selection of Best would remove the Height in inches field from calculation of Estimated peak flow.
- Predicted: Selection of Predicted would allow an entry of height in inches to calculate the estimated peak flow.
- Click into the Estimated peak flow field and enter the information. If Predicted was selected, the Estimated peak flow will be entered once the Calculate button is clicked.
- Click into the Patient goal field and enter goals specific to the patient. The goals may be typed into the text field or entered using the Phrase Construction button.
- Choose one or more checkboxes listed in the Triggers section. Additional triggers may be entered by selecting the Other checkbox and entering the triggers in the text field.
- Click the Next button or the Control/Severity tab. The Asthma Control/Severity window is displayed.
- Select the radio button to indicate if the patient is or is not currently taking long term controller medications.
Click to view full-size image
|is currently taking long-term controller medications|
|is NOT currently taking long-term controller medications|
- Complete the selections on the Components window. From the selections in the Components window, the Overall Classification will be selected.
- Click the Next button or Step Therapy tab. The Step Therapy window is displayed.
- Review the Medical Decision-Making field, and click the drop-down to change, if necessary.
Note: The Medical Decision-Making field is populated from the answers selected in the Control/Severity window when the radio button is selected "is not currently taking long-term controller medications". When the "is currently taking long-term controller medications" radio button is selected, Medical Decision Making must be selected.
- Click the Next button or Controller Meds tab. The Controller Meds window displays.
- Enter medications for each of the following medication tabs, if applicable.
- Controller Meds (Green)
- Quick Relief Meds (Yellow)
- Rescue Meds (Red)
- To select a medication, click the drop-down menu and select from the list. Medications listed as chronic medications will be available to select from the drop-down menu.
- (Optional) If no medications are listed, to add, click the Add Rx button. Complete the Prescription window and save the information.
- Repeat for each medication zone window, Green, Yellow and Red.
Note: If adding a medication using the Add Rx button, this will not create a medication entry in the patient chart.
- Click the Next button or the Save/Print tab. The Save/Print window is displayed.
- Select the radio button to indicate whether the patient may or may not self-administer medications.
- Click the drop-down and select a provider in the Signature Name field.
- Click the Save Plan button.
- Once the plan is saved the Print button will display.
- Select a asthma report from the Available Asthma Action Plan Report list.
- (Optional) Complete the below steps to send the Asthma Action Plan to the Patient Portal. An Asthma Action Plan can only be sent to the portal by practice staff who have an associated user account on the InteliChart Practice Portal.
- Click the Share to portal checkbox.
- Click the drop-down and select from the calendar or enter an expiration date in the Portal Exp Date field.
Note: The Portal Exp Date field will populate with the Default Document Expiration Date set in the Portal tab of System Preferences.
- Click the Print button.
This article describes the steps in the Asthma Action Plan Wizard. When the Asthma Action Plan Wizard is accessed, the Welcome screen appears.
- In the Welcome window, click on the radio button next to one of the three following options:
- Create a new Asthma Plan
- Copy/Update a previously created Asthma Plan
- View or Print a previously created Asthma Plan
- Click the Next button in the lower-right corner to continue.
- In the Peak Flow, Goals and Triggers window, enter the following information:
- Peak Flow - Enter the patient's best peak flow, or you may have OP calculate the peak flow for children over 43 inches.
- Goals - This is a text field where you can enter goals for this particular patient.
- Triggers - Choose one or more of the listed triggers. Additionally you may add triggers which are not listed in the Other field.
- In the Asthma Control/Severity windows:
- Indicate whether the patient is currently taking long term controller medications.
- Complete the grids to assess the patient's current quality of control and severity of symptoms.
- Click the Next button.
- In the Step Therapy window:
- Click the down-arrow next to the Medical Decision Making field and select the Step whose treatment plan most closely matches what the patient is currently taking.
- Once you have chosen a Step, the Asthma Wizard will make a recommendation for treatment based on information entered. You may follow the recommendations. or manually select another Step.
- In the Medications windows, you will enter medications for each of the following medication types:
- Daily Controller Medications (Green)
- Caution Zone Medications (Yellow)
- Danger Zone Medications (Red)
- To select medications, click on the Add RX button to the right of the field or select from the dropdown menu. Note that only medications listed as Chronic Medications will be available in the dropdown. You can also type the medication and dosing directly in the available fields, but this will not create a medication entry in the patient's chart.
- After completing the medication windows you have created an Asthma Plan and are now ready to print. In the Save and Print window, the last in the sequence:
- Indicate whether the patient may or may not self-administer medications.
- Click the Save button to save the plan.
- After saving, a Print button will appear in the lower right hand corner.
- Select one of the two Asthma Plans available and click Print. Your Asthma Plan will be saved and available for reprinting or updating.