Additional parents who need their own access to a patient's portal account must be provided a PIN. However, because only one issued PIN is active at a time, the patient must already be registered for the portal in order for the second parent to be able to create a portal account.
Below are two options for an additional parent to create their own portal account. In the sections below:
- Parent A refers to the parent who was initially provided a PIN and completed the patient's portal registration with that PIN.
- Parent B refers to the additional parent that needs their own access to the patient information in the patient portal.
Parent B Uses the Same PIN that was Provided to Parent A
The same PIN can be used by multiple parents to create separate portal accounts.
- Parent A receives a PIN and creates a portal account by either following link in the welcome email or by navigating to the OP Patient Portal URL from the printout.
- Parent B navigates to the portal URL and creates their own account by entering the same PIN for the child when prompted to do so.
- Both parents will be listed in the Associations section of the patient’s account on the OP Practice Portal.
Parent B is Issued Their Own PIN
Once the patient has been registered for the portal by Parent A, an additional PIN can be sent to Parent B from the OP Practice Portal. Follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the patient's account in the Practice Portal: Practice Portal > Patient Administration > Account button > search for and select the patient.
- In the Account Settings of the Administrative tab, confirm the following:
- Status = Registered
- PIN/VQ = Pin Already Assigned
- Click Generate PIN. The Patient Registration window is displayed.
- Complete the following fields:
- Register Patient with: PIN is selected by default. To change, select the Verification Question radio button.
- Email Address: Email Address is selected by default. Select Parent B's email address using the drop-down or select Other and enter it manually.
- Text Message (optional): Select the radio button to receive the registration by text. Enter the cell phone number.
- Cell Carrier (optional): Select a Cell Carrier from the drop-down menu. Required if Text Message was selected.
- Send to: The Send to radio buttons, Parent/Guardian or Minor, display when registering a patient 12 or older. The default selection is Parent/Guardian.
- Print PIN (optional): Click Print PIN for a paper copy.
- Do not send PIN (optional): Click the radio button when the PIN information does not need to be sent.
- Complete the patient registration page by selecting from the options below.
- Click the Send PIN / Verification Question button. This option would be used if a parent will complete the registration at a later time. A welcome email is sent to the parent so that they can create their portal account.
- Click the Complete / Log In button. This option would be used if a parent will complete the registration immediately. The Patient Portal registration page opens to complete the registration process and a welcome email is sent to the parent.