Path: Clinical, Billing, or Practice Management tab > Patient Chart > Medications
Reference prescriptions are those that are prescribed when a specialist or other doctor prescribes a medication for one of your patients. These should be entered into the patient's Medication list so that there is a full picture of the patient's Medication history in OP. You can also use the reference format when entering medication history for a patient new to your practice.
- Navigate to the patient's Medication List by following the path above.
- Click the New button to open the Prescription window.
- In the Purpose field, use the drop-down arrow to select Med - reference only from the list.
- (Optional) Click the Ellipsis button in the Prescriber field, select the prescribing provider from the Address Book.
- (Optional) Add a diagnosis code to the Primary and Secondary DX field by clicking the drop-down or typing a portion of the name and pressing Enter on your keyboard.
- In the Drug field, begin typing the name of the medication and click the Ellipsis button or press Enter on your keyboard.
- From the Medication Finder window, select the medication by double-clicking or highlighting the medication and clicking the OK button.
- Complete the prescription.
- Click the Save button.
When a specialist or other doctor prescribes a medication for one of your patients, enter it in the patient's Medication List as a reference with a note that the medication had been written by another doctor. You can also use the reference format when entering a medical history for a patient new to your practice.
- Open the patient's Medication List.
- Click the button.
- Click the down arrow button beside the Purpose field, and choose Med - reference only from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the prescription as you would an e-prescription.
Note: In order for the medication to be linked to the RCopia Drug Interaction database, the prescription must have an NDC (National Drug Code) number attached. To find the exact medication formulation in the database, you may also need to enter the dosage amount.