Path: Clinical, Billing, or Practice Management tab > Patient Chart > Medications
Free-text or unformatted prescriptions cannot be sent out electronically. These prescriptions are not written with a valid NDC# which is required to send prescriptions electronically.
- Navigate to the patient's Medication List by following the path above.
- Click the New button to open the Prescription window.
- In the Purpose field, use the drop-down to select Med - unformatted from the list.
- Type your prescription in the field, or click the phrase constructor buttonto access the Phrase Construction Library.
- Complete the prescription.
- Click the Save button.
Note: Free-text prescriptions cannot be sent out electronically.
- After entering the basic information for the prescription and selecting Med - unformatted from the "Purpose" drop-down menu (Step 6), a free-text prescription text field will be displayed in the middle portion of the form.
- Type your prescription in the field, or click the (folder) icon to access the Phrase Construction Prescription Library.
- Enter the days supply, dispense number, and number of refills in the lower left section of the window. Click the calculator icons to the left of each field and enter each number using the drop-down number pad.
- Click the check boxes in the lower right section to indicate if the medication is to be dispensed as written ("DAW"), and whether it is an ongoing medication.
- Click the Save button to save and close. The prescription will now appear in the patient's Medication List.